Sunday, August 31, 2008

How to Remember Jokes

If you are like many people you have a hard time remembering a good joke. I am here today to help you with that. There are two ways to remember a joke. The first is to write it down, immediately, after you hear it. Make sure you write the whole thing down, especially the punch line.

Most all jokes are made up of two parts. The set-up and the punch line. The set-up explains the joke, and the punch-up line takes the joke in a different direction. Example: Where there is a will (Set-up). I sure hope I'm in it (Punch-line).Example: My husband put magic into my life (Set-up). By disappearing (Punch-line).

So write the joke down completely. If you can't write the joke down, share it with someone immediately. We think we will remember the joke to tell later, however, most the time we forget. We especially forget the punch-line. So, as a rule you don't want more than one minute to go between hearing the joke and telling it to someone else.

In telling the joke always pause between the set-up and punch-line. After the set-up pause for about three seconds before you tell the punch-line.

Lastly you want to avoid doing these thing:

1. Tell everyone how funny the joke is before you tell it. You are setting yourself up for no one laughing.You are raising the expectations too high.

2. Add to the joke make the set-up too long, or the punch-line too long.

3. Take too much away from the joke, especially part of or the whole punch-line.

The more you tell jokes the more comfortable you get with them. Jokes, and humor works better if it is connecting, so avoid jokes that might offend some people. If you have any questions about whether to tell a joke or not, don't tell it.

Below are some examples of jokes:

My husband and I shared one thing in common (Set-up). We both loved him (Punch-line).

I have two children (Set-up) that I know of (Punch-line).

Achilles' mother: "Stop whining (Set-up)! There's nothing wrong with your heel (Punch-line)

My husband and I were in the country a few weeks ago. We were standing in front of a wishing well, and he fell in. (Set-up). I never dreamed those things worked (Punch-line).

Did you enjoy the food, sir (Set-up)? I could get more nourishment biting my lip. (Punch-line).

Jana Ruth
Author of Laugh and Live Happier: P.L.A.Y.S. for Life
http://www.janaruth.biz/
http://www.laughandlivehappier.com/
http://www.laughingworld.blogstop.com/

No comments: